Alfa Romeo 75 3.0 V6 & 164 3.0 24V Cloverleaf

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
75nut

Re: Alfa Romeo 75 3.0 V6 1991 Ongoing Project

#31 Post by 75nut » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:51 pm

Saw the weather forcast for the weekend so slipped home early to make sure a bit of progress was made this week.

Passenger rear light area was next on list. I had left my mobile at the pub last night so did not get my early fab pictures , but grab a camera later and took some pics.

So the bodged area that was bubbling rot

Basically I used the old masking tape trick on the drivers side to copy the area.
Its got a few complex curves but I did not want to use a load of little panels to make the shape up and it would increase risk of moisture getting in there later. So I resticted it to 2 panels, the upper section with the triangle section and then the flat section at the bottom.
I used plier to bend the curve and hammered it out more with litle hammer and doly set.

I weld the 2 sections together and then tack welded into the hole and fully welded in with a series of short high setting spot welds to avoid distortion.

This was ground down with a flap wheel then the dremmel to get in the tight section. Then added lead to cover any pin holes and reduce filler application. Lead was then shaved down to a smoother finish. And then heavily zinc'd front and back. And light trial fitted to check, and it looked ok.

It needs some filler now and smoothing and will then get a temporary coat of primer and red before final fettling.

So next it will be the other side!

75nut

#32 Post by 75nut » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:10 am

A busy and wet weekend mean't no work on the Alfa so I only did a half day int he offic eon Monday and took advantage of the sun.

After puting this back together for a happy camper (I did not win the batle of painting it Alfa red versus pink :( )

I got onto a proper car starting with finishing the drivers corner. I'm not grinding back at the moment just getting everything welded in and will then work my way back round.
The gassless mig did not like the dirtier metal of the bottom corner, it tends to insiist on clean metal both sides for nic elow welds, but I couldnot access some areas as well as others. Im basically spot welding in short bursts as the gassless loves to burn through the thin sheet. At some point I will put aside soem readies for a proper gas welder!

Started building out the bottom from the inner skins out starting with a small repair to boot floor first

I then has to recreate the curve section that the bolts run through for the bumper. I did not have a hole saw to hand so went for square holes not round as it makes no real difference especially as its all goign to be closed in.

Thats as far as I got before I was called in (had the village darts comp to attend!)

Just to to close that ouff with the outer skin and then get started on the drivers rear arch and that should be the rear welding compelted. Then just tons of grinding leading and sanding and painting and polishing etc etc etc and I might be able to look to put the running gear back in ,where this all started :lol:

75nut

#33 Post by 75nut » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:03 pm

Today I started to close off the area , but I only had an hour spare so I just did the flat sections as where it curves in to allow for the bumper mountings will take more time to fabricate.

SirTainleyBarking

#34 Post by SirTainleyBarking » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:46 pm

75nut wrote:A busy and wet weekend mean't no work on the Alfa so I only did a half day int he offic eon Monday and took advantage of the sun.

After puting this back together for a happy camper (I did not win the batle of painting it Alfa red versus pink :( )

:lol:
At least that one ain't going to need welding up in a few years time
Landrovers and Welding go together like Bread and Butter. And in the wet they are about as structurally sound

Biting. It's like kissing except there's a winner

bxzx16v

#35 Post by bxzx16v » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:13 pm

Fantastic work on the Alfa , I'd imagine the V6 is quite a rare beast nowadays .

Mark

75nut

#36 Post by 75nut » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:56 pm

Not really had alot of time to do any work with the waether the way it has been recently , but sneaked a couple of hours in today in between family commitments.

With short time I decided to focus on closing off the rear corner where the bumper brace fits. If you remember it was rotton right through to the boot here so I have been working my way back out after cutting it all out.

I tried several times to make a curve piece with the correct indentation to match the other side but simply could not get it riught , it was too complex for my skills so I split it into 3 sections.

The main centre where the bumper bolts come through as part one that sits the lowest the the outer section that meet both the low section and the higher areas as 2 parts.

Was going to plan but ran out of cored wire for the gassless. You can see the amount of slag gassless makes versus gass here as I have not cleaned it off. So I will have to rob some time in the week to finish welding and tidying up with a dremmel.

I also stone chip arch I have completed and then waxoyled, going over the lip as well for added protection as its behind the bodykit anyhow.
The bit of fluff on the left is where the car cover stuck to the temporary red paint I put on, but Im goign back and resanding and painting all this once all the welding on the car is complete so no biggy.

75nut

#37 Post by 75nut » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:57 pm

bxzx16v wrote:Fantastic work on the Alfa , I'd imagine the V6 is quite a rare beast nowadays .

Mark
They are still about and amazingly cheap, I got a second one for £300 that was going to be a spares bu is in really good condition (bar the same rusty arches lol!)

alfaSleep

#38 Post by alfaSleep » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:47 pm

MOT passed - clear - today.....YaY!!

alfaSleep
'the french will always be there when they need you'...Monty ;<)

75nut

#39 Post by 75nut » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:09 pm

Which motor mate?

alfaSleep

#40 Post by alfaSleep » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:23 pm

75nut wrote:Which motor mate?
Y'know..... :P

alfaSleep
'the french will always be there when they need you'...Monty ;<)