Leather Steering Wheel Cover

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
karlsgazelle

Leather Steering Wheel Cover

#1 Post by karlsgazelle » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:00 pm

I found the Bakelite steering wheel a bit thin and uninspiring, didn't really feel I could grip it safely so decided to get a leather cover.

I looked on Ebay and found KR Classics (Roger and Kim Chaplin 01622 862149, rrogchaplin@aol.com) who import and supply excellent quality covers at many classic car shows and have good feedback.

The cover arrived (eventually, as the size I needed was out of stock at the time) with full instructions and everything you needed to fit it.

Here's how it was fitted:

First the wheel was cleaned thoroughly with warm water and mild detergent (washing up liquid ;) )

Then I stretched the cover over the steering wheel and adjusted its position. Placing the seam at the bottom probably looks best - as suggested in the instructions, but if you own a rallye car you might want it at the top. :)
P1030014.JPG
P1030014.JPG (158.38 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
The threading is fairly straight forward (I asked the wife to do it, as she's better at this kind of stuff), the only thing you have to watch was ensuring it's pulled tight after every stitch.
P1030019.JPG
P1030019.JPG (179.65 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
When you get to the end just tie a tight double knot and tuck away between the edges and that is it. The job took (the Mrs) about an hour, while I supplied refreshments and the entertainment.
The finished product really does look and feel excellent IMHO. I took it for a little test drive in the country just to make sure. Perfect!
P1030024.JPG
P1030024.JPG (190.07 KiB) Viewed 1749 times
Cheers
Karl

OneCarefulOwner

Re: Leather Steering Wheel Cover

#2 Post by OneCarefulOwner » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:28 pm

Oh I like how that's come out - much nicer than period PVC ones laced on with what always felt like electrical cable!
…that's why Allegro will look as good 5 years from now as it does today.
If I was allowed a sigpic, this would be it
Twitter | Blog | DropBox