Cadillac Eldorado

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
Mrotwoman
Location: We're gonna have a breakdance party,breakdance all night long.

Cadillac Eldorado

#1 Post by Mrotwoman » Sat May 21, 2011 3:53 pm

Bought the Caddy today,drove home from Luton,drives really well.. no ball of fire but a lovely,relaxed,ultra quiet cruiser.According to the on board computer gubbins it averaged 21 mpg too,which isn't bad although it's probably all lies...

One issue though,it did stall when I was coasting down a hill on the Motorway on the way home ,I sudenly felt the steering weight up and of course no servo assistance,but it restarted alright and is fine now.Haven't had a look yet really,but I'm thinking maybe fuel vapourisation. It has a carb fitted (I think these were all efi) and the cat removed.

I'll probably live to regret it :lol:
Have you forgotten that once we were brought here we were robbed of our names,robbed of our language,we lost our religion,our culture,our God? And many of us by the way we act,we even lost our minds.

OneCarefulOwner

Re: Cadillac Eldorado

#2 Post by OneCarefulOwner » Sun May 22, 2011 9:58 am

The onboard 'puter will be working on American measurements, i.e. 1 gallon = 3.79 litres, not 4.54 as we would assume. Therefore as best I can calculate you were actually achieving closer to 25mpg :)
…that's why Allegro will look as good 5 years from now as it does today.
If I was allowed a sigpic, this would be it
Twitter | Blog | DropBox

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Sun May 22, 2011 11:21 am

But it would also be working to American miles, which are 1.1904 times as long as Imperial Miles**, so the 21mpg may be correct. ;)

**-Yeah, of course that was utter bollocks, but I'm fookin' jealous of the bloke for having that lovely car, OK?.....
;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Mrotwoman

#4 Post by Mrotwoman » Sun May 22, 2011 3:56 pm

I'm happy with 21 tbh,probably about the same as my old Rover V8 was managing.
Have you forgotten that once we were brought here we were robbed of our names,robbed of our language,we lost our religion,our culture,our God? And many of us by the way we act,we even lost our minds.

jagdude

#5 Post by jagdude » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:13 am

Don't know if this will help with the stall issue, but I lived in Canada in the eighties and had a couple of Oldsmobiles with fairly similar running gear as the Caddy. One of them had an insanely small (Not much bigger than my thumb) in-line fuel filter that clogged fairly frequently. It was a little paper thing with sort of brass end caps. If that's not the problem I would look for something other than vaporization. That is more likely to happen when the car has been standing after a run and the heat soak has had time to work it's mischief!

One of mine was an Olds 98 Regency and I was always amazed at how little fuel it used on a highway run so your numbers don't seem unrealistic.

OneCarefulOwner

#6 Post by OneCarefulOwner » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:39 am

I've been inspired to buy an '89 Olds, and while researching my purchase I saw something about one of the GM family of engines having an issue with occasionally conking out on overrun when decelerating from speeds over 55 (which was the prevailing limit in the US at time of manufacture) due to some part of the autobox not allowing the engine to spin freely? I can't remember exactly, I'll try & go through my history to find it again but chances are high it was on BlokeDownThePubPedia. ;)
Twitter | Blog | DropBox

rich.

#7 Post by rich. » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:19 pm

thats nice!

bnicho

#8 Post by bnicho » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:55 pm

Awesome. Considering the size of the beast, 20mpg or thereabouts sounds pretty reasonable.
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

Mrotwoman

#9 Post by Mrotwoman » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:50 am

An update now I've had the time to look at it,it's not a carb :oops: (it certainly looked like one at a brief glimpse) but throttle body injection,with 2 injectors ... and the stalling issue certainly seems to have been because of a fuel filter that was well past it's prime.

OneCarefulOwner

#10 Post by OneCarefulOwner » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:54 pm

Glad you've got it sorted. Inspired by you, I've bought an Oldsmobile which ran great guns for 200 miles, then conked out; closest approximation I could think of was fuel evaporation, but it turned out to be coilpacks - I should have recognised it, I've had an overheating coil in an Allegro before ;) Still, that caused issues after just 5 miles!
Twitter | Blog | DropBox