Austin A35 Project

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
gazza82

Re: Austin A35 Project

#31 Post by gazza82 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:52 am

Nuts, bolts, washers, screws, etc are all going in the Jizer tub, getting a good clean and then bagged up and labelled ..

As you say it is a simple car. Engine has two mounts - 3 studs - and gearbox bracket two fixed studs and two bolts through tunnel.

It currently has a mechanical clutch so a rod fits into a bush in the side of the gearbox .. that was the hardest piece to remove! There is no sideways play and as I couldn't get the pedal rod off the end it really was a PITA. You can't push the gearbox away as the mounting stops it. Tried to remove the mounting but can't get to two bolts!! Catch 22 plus plus plus!

The new Midget-source gearbox will have a hydraulic clutch so that gubbins doesn't need to go back. I should be able to get a puller on the clutch pedal once the master cylinder is out. That resides under the drivers floorpan and was always a nightmare to fill with brake fluid without overfilling.

There is probably a correct order to dismantle this little monster .. but I don't think anyone has it documented yet. I'm just going for it!

(Next up: rear axle and springs. 45+ year old EP90 comes out like treacle too!)
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck